Yesterday was my first day...and it was quite a day to say the least!!! It took over 90 minutes to get to the hospital when my new GPS said that it would only take 45 minutes when I left home. Good thing I left so early (2 hours...just in case)!
I found the unit perfectly fine and was impressed with it right away. It was a clean looking unit with a very wide hallway and huge window at the end. I felt welcomed right away when I got to the nurses station. One of the nurses helped me find the PCT who I was to "orient" with for the day. We started answering call lights and such. The call lights entailed getting confused 80 year olds out of the bathroom after they got "lost" in their private room...hahaha! It was quite enjoyable actually.
The PCT and I then began taking our vitals. We went all the way down the hall to begin. The first room had the door shut which was a little different but I didn't think much of it. When I got inside the room I noticed three beautiful bouquets of flowers on the counter. The PCT shut the door behind us and walked over to our first patient. I turned around and noticed she was sleeping. She also had a very yellow color, so my first thought was that she had jaundice. I brushed her hand and noticed it was ice cold which immediately sent the chills through my body-she was dead! I then realized that we were no longer taking vitals, but cleaning her up before she went to the morgue.
The communication to me about what was happening was lacking, but I quickly bounced back. Needless to say i was shocked in that situation, but impressed with how much dignity the staff gave her. The staff never referred to her as a "body" but she was still a patient and was handled with much care. I had the opportunity to help prepare her for "rose cottage." Our nurse manager told us that when she lived in England they would refer to the morgue as "rose cottage" because if someone else overhears they won't understand...oops, I guess I just let the secret out!
The rest of the evening was a little less eventful. I emptied urinals, helped patients to the bathroom and camodes, took vitals (for real this time), filled waters and answered call lights. Hopefully tomorrow goes smoothly :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment